Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

NON-TCP/IP Synergy (Bluetooth?)

So I have been a synergy user for years.  My company was recently acquired by a behemoth.  Said behemoth has their network locked down like Fort Knox.  I cannot use Synergy at all when on the VPN because split tunneling is disabled.  To make it worse, the corporate firewalls are extremely tight and I cannot get exceptions added.  Bluetooth PAN will not work either due to laptop security.  I need to be able to work between my windows 10 laptop and Linux desktop easily.  Are there any ideas for establishing communication via a non-tcp/ip method?  Usb, Bluetooth, 9600 baud modem (lulz.... kind of)?  I'm desperate.

The laptop is locked down so I cannot even install additional hardware.  A guy plugged in a USB drive to transfer files from his old laptop to his new one and his phone rang 30 seconds later asking why he plugged in a USB drive.  I cannot install any software either unless it is on the corporate repository of approved applications.  Much to my surprise, multiple versions of synergy were on the approved list.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Are there any computers on the network that you have access to (i.e. you can install things on, like a server, etc), which both of your computers can see?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
18 minutes ago, jsaiko said:

I have root access on the Linux workstation.  The windows laptop is the one that is locked down.

Do you have admin access on the Windows laptop?

Wow, that new IT department. Sorry to hear about that.

If you can't convince them to give you the software to do your job, perhaps tell them to give you the hardware. I'd tell them to buy you a KVM switch (something like this: http://a.co/6sL9Lz6) 

Jay,

That link does not work.

Nick,
So I finally got it to work over Bluetooth PAN.  I'm limited to using version 1.7.6 on the Windows laptop because that is the newest approved version.  I need to register it in order to use SSL but its giving me an error (login failed, open-xhr-end).  Any suggestions?

Here is the setup script I came up with for linux (bluez 5) if anyone else needs it.  The various howto guides on the internet all failed me.

#!/bin/sh

br=pan0

brctl addbr $br
brctl setfd $br 0
brctl stp $br off
ip addr add 192.168.3.1/29 dev $br
ip link set $br up
bt-network -d -s gn $br

• Thanks 1

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH

It WAS working... now they added a route for 192.168.3.0/29 and it broke.  So frustrating.  I guess I am going to have to go to a hardware solution and lose clipboard functionality.

On 4/24/2018 at 11:26 AM, Nick Bolton said:

Do you have admin access on the Windows laptop?

If you guys could code in the option to use a COM port for communication in a future release, you would be my hero.  I could engineer a USB device that emulates a COM port pretty easily.  This would also open up the option for people to use Bluetooth SPP (Serial Port Profile).  I haven't saw your code but it should be fairly easy to utilize a COM port rather then ethernet encapsulation.

3 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

Sorry if this sounds unhelpful, but have you considered changing jobs? That place sounds like hell. Come work for us! :D

https://symless.com/careers/cpp-software-engineer

HAHA!  I know right.  It was a really great place to work prior to our acquisition.  I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Side note, in case anyone else runs into this issue.  I was ultimately able to get bluetooth PAN to work consistently after I changed my address and DHCP scope to 169.254.x.x.  This is the IPv4 link local / autoconfig range and it was ignored by the corporate VPN client.   I guess I'll have to live without SSL for now.

Davewill

I thought you could register Synergy 1 just by pasting in the license key from the Symless site. I don't think you have to log in from the Synergy program, although I suppose it might be verifying it online in the background.

Edited by Davewill
25 minutes ago, Davewill said:

I thought you could register Synergy 1 just by pasting in the license key from the Symless site. I don't think you have to log in from the Synergy program, although I suppose it might be verifying it online in the background.

Yeah, it's an older version of synergy 1 I think.  I'm extremely limited on what I can use... As in just this 1 version on my corporate pc.  They have synergy 2 listed in the repository but it requires approval from the pope.