Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Forward media keys

This might've been suggested already, but I couldn't find it quickly. Maybe it's possible to always forward the media keys? (volume, next/previous track, mute, pause/play). I want to keep my work laptop as clean as possible, so all my music collection is on my personal laptop (which is also where my headphones are connected to). It would be amazing if I don't have to move my mouse to the personal laptop, higher/lower the volume, then move back the mouse to my work laptop again. If it's already there, I'm sorry! I did not see it yet so far.

Kelvin Tran

@Nick Bolton, if it has not been suggested yet, I think it's a good idea.

What you guys could do is have the Fn key mapped to Synergy as a trigger for the main agent to go ahead and forward the function key as a command and then have the functions of each F key mapped by the user and have Synergy replicate that function across operating systems.

• 6 months later...

I came to the forum today to request this.

I think it should be implemented as explicit key mappings. Ideally it would have a specific key map by keycode to exactly which keys should go to exactly which device(s). For example, on my MS 4000 Ergonomic keyboard there are 19 programmable keys. I would love to be able to have the volume controls stay on the server, but the play/pause go to client1, home/search/mail go to client3, and the mute key is sent to all devices.

It would also be cool if instead of just mapping key x to device y, it could be remapped as key z, or even as a trigger that would allow custom scripted commands to be executed on the target device. 

Kelvin Tran
2 hours ago, Shawn Hall said:

I came to the forum today to request this.

I think it should be implemented as explicit key mappings. Ideally it would have a specific key map by keycode to exactly which keys should go to exactly which device(s). For example, on my MS 4000 Ergonomic keyboard there are 19 programmable keys. I would love to be able to have the volume controls stay on the server, but the play/pause go to client1, home/search/mail go to client3, and the mute key is sent to all devices.

It would also be cool if instead of just mapping key x to device y, it could be remapped as key z, or even as a trigger that would allow custom scripted commands to be executed on the target device. 

I'd like to make it known that hotkeys and keyboard bindings to specific functions have been acknowledged as a possible future feature by the Synergy team and that it is a feature that will be in the works later on when the Synergy project reaches a newfound stability.

We appreciate your enthusiasm about the future of the Synergy project and the features that you'd like to see implemented into the program that helps you be more productive than ever. The feature request has been acknowledged and @Shawn Hall's suggestion is an interesting way to implement it (in fact, it could be said that that could be a new feature in it of itself).

Thank you for your support.