Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Have to restart Synergy services after laptop returns to the network

Warwick

Hi All,

So my setup is pretty simple, 2 x windows 10 machines, 1 Desktop, permanently connected via ethernet and 1 laptop that I take to work each day then when I return home I dock and the dock has ethernet. Both machines use DHCP but have a static definition so always get the same IP addresses. Using Synergy 2.0.10 but problem has been there since 2.0.0. Whenever I return home and dock the laptop I always need to restart either the desktop or laptop synergy service manually. As soon as I do this they both connect and im working fine. This is starting to annoy the crap out of me as im so close to having a perfect solution. Any help on how I can fix this?

Warwick

Dunno but... when you take the laptop to work, does it get a new IP address and hostname from DHCP there? If so, when you bring it home, as far as its partner (and everyone else) is concerned, it's a different host. May need to figure out a way to have multiple, automatic personalities in terms of host ID.

Warwick

Yep, gets a new IP and hostname from DHCP at work. Shouldnt this not matter though once I plug back in at home and get the old IP and hostname. As I said, a simple restart of the synergy service after this and im back up and running. 

Do you use Synergy at work too?

Guessing here that the host knows its IP and address changed but Synergy doesn't, so the restart grabs the information again and things are good. Perhaps we should poll periodically for changes or hook the Windows API for change info.

Albert C

For the most part, I really love Synergy -- both 1 and 2. I'm running 2.0.10-stable, and finding that it works pretty much as expected.

In Synergy 2, I find myself doing the same as Warwick occasionally, whether I take the MacBook somewhere else or the Windows Laptop.  In my case, I work for a school district and we do some pretty strong filtering and ACL's between networks, so I simply count most of my issues falling into one of those camps.

I don't think it's unique to the Windows agent -- it seems to happen to me with both Windows and MacOS.  Don't have a linux agent in the mix at the moment.  (I'm looking forward to Crostini containers on Chromebooks, and hoping we can get Synergy 2 working there!)

In a couple of weeks after our student testing window ends, I'll be glad to help simulate some of the situations that cause problems,  and share scenarios and logs if that will help.

Thanks,

albert

Warwick

Hi All, been reading other topics and found that when you move the screens inside the GUI it restarts the core. Tested this just now and after moving the screens both reconnected and saved me restarting the service. Still not ideal but might be a quicker workaround for now.  Will continue to test over the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...
tduvally

Moving the systems in the window doesn't seem to work, or at least not on my Linux system with v2. I have to kill the processes, which auto-restart themselves, before I can connect to my 2nd system. 

I was running v1, waiting for this issue to be fixed in v2, until the latest release of Ubuntu, that is. It looks like v1 will NOT run on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I don't suppose they will release an update to v1 at this point. The "simplicity" of v2 is nice, but if it doesn't work with standard practices (laptop computing) it's really not any simpler. Which is why I went back to v1.

I tried Shift-F5; doesn't help. 

I kinda have the same problem but I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 on my Laptop.
To get around this issue, I've created a Script which restarts the Service after a Reboot.

> /lib/systemd/system-sleep/synergy

#!/bin/sh
set -e

if [ "$2" = "suspend" ] || [ "$2" = "hybrid-sleep" ]; then
    case "$1" in
        pre) ;;
        post) /usr/sbin/service synergy restart  ;;
    esac
fi

I'm seeing the same.

I have a PC that's stationary and connected to ethernet. I have a mac book pro that I comes in and goes. Everytime I connect it to the network, I have to fire the synergy config apps and restart services by SHIFT + F5 on both and futz around until it magically starts to work. It's painful but I have gotten used to doing this as the first thing I do as soon as get my mac book pro back on in this environment.

• 4 weeks later...
Doug Fisher

I have a work Windows 7 laptop and a mac mini running Synergy 2.0.12-beta. 

I usually put the laptop to sleep in the evening after work.  In the morning, I have to restart the service on the laptop side.