Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Remote desktop W10 gets confused

Leslie Schwartz

This feature used to work much better in Synergy V 1.x.

This scenario is where you have opened a remote desktop connection to a 2nd computer, both are running in the Synergy V2 matrix for keyboard and mouse, and the controller computer for keyboard and mouse are a third computer.

In Synergy V1.x, this was usable, you have a screen within a screen in the display, but you were able to do work within the inner screen (remote desktop) such as use an application, in my case Visio drawing program, and the mouse could freely travel across the screen, inner and outer systems screens executing commands in the correct system as intended.

However in Synergy V2 the mouse commands get confused, the systems overall do know know which system the mouse is in, the mouse gets stuck at the boarder of the inner systems client application window, and can not travel across it, can not operate the application scroll bars in the inner (remoted system) as it could in Synergy V1.x. 

This functionality does not work in Synergy V2. You have to carefully maneuver back to the outer computer screen and kill the remote session which is not easy to do, otherwise neither system works at all.

Thanks,

Leslie

Kelvin Tran
2 minutes ago, Leslie Schwartz said:

This feature used to work much better in Synergy V 1.x.

This scenario is where you have opened a remote desktop connection to a 2nd computer, both are running in the Synergy V2 matrix for keyboard and mouse, and the controller computer for keyboard and mouse are a third computer.

In Synergy V1.x, this was usable, you have a screen within a screen in the display, but you were able to do work within the inner screen (remote desktop) such as use an application, in my case Visio drawing program, and the mouse could freely travel across the screen, inner and outer systems screens executing commands in the correct system as intended.

However in Synergy V2 the mouse commands get confused, the systems overall do know know which system the mouse is in, the mouse gets stuck at the boarder of the inner systems client application window, and can not travel across it, can not operate the application scroll bars in the inner (remoted system) as it could in Synergy V1.x. 

This functionality does not work in Synergy V2. You have to carefully maneuver back to the outer computer screen and kill the remote session which is not easy to do, otherwise neither system works at all.

Thanks,

Leslie

I'm sorry, I'm misunderstanding a little bit here.

Do you mean to say that you've RDPed (or another program) into a computer with Synergy on it that's also connected to the Synergy server and that's screwing it up?

Leslie Schwartz

I'm saying I used Window's remote desktop and I open a remote desktop session to a 2nd computer, say system B, from system A. While system C is the master controller for the mouse and keyboard using Synergy V2 for all three systems.

The screen for system A is displaying its own desktop, and within the boarders of its screen you see the desktop for system B.

Kelvin Tran

Ahhh. I see.

So just to confirm so that we can be of more assistance, System C is your Synergy server. You have opened Remote Desktop Connection on System A and used it to connect to System B. Your issue is that Synergy doesn't know where the mouse is and begin to glitch out, correct?

If so, please send me logs from Synergy 2.

Kelvin Tran
Just now, Leslie Schwartz said:

Yes, you have re-described the scenario.

How do I get the logs from Synergy 2?

Right click on the blue background and click on Send Log. You'll be provided with a Symless link. Please provide that to me.

If you are not aware of how to view the real-time log, press the tilde (~) key on your keyboard.

Leslie Schwartz

The mouse does not know where it is when it is in the remote desktop application window, Some commands may work occasionally, but the mouse will get stuck within the boarders of the system B application window, and you can not seamlessly pass across them as in Synergy V1.x

Kelvin Tran
Just now, Leslie Schwartz said:

The mouse does not know where it is when it is in the remote desktop application window, Some commands may work occasionally, but the mouse will get stuck within the boarders of the system B application window, and you can not seamlessly pass across them as in Synergy V1.x

I understand that issue, but can you grab it from System C? That log will be very useful in troubleshooting the issue. I need the technical details as much as the usability details.

Kelvin Tran

Also, @Leslie Schwartz, if you RDP to System B anyways, why run Synergy on there? Just out of interest. 

I can see why it's getting confused with two programs simulating mouse control at once. There may not be an easy way to prevent this.

Leslie Schwartz

Kelvin,

This used to work fine without a problem in fact in Synergy V1.x.

Secondly, it is a great convenience to have one keyboard and mouse for all of the systems. I only run the Windows remote desktop some of the time, not all of the time.

I run remote desktop when I need to see the remote screen more closely such as I mentioned when working on a Visio drawing. 

Otherwise the screen for the system I remote to is physically more distant than the screen right in front of me. When not running remote desktop Synergy works well enough and I can carry out tasks in all of the managed systems.

The remote desktop is needed when I need to see a more physically remote system more closely, and need to carry out tasks that otherwise would be difficult because of that screens relatively remote location.

Leslie

Kelvin Tran
1 minute ago, Leslie Schwartz said:

Kelvin,

This used to work fine without a problem in fact in Synergy V1.x.

Secondly, it is a great convenience to have one keyboard and mouse for all of the systems. I only run the Windows remote desktop some of the time, not all of the time.

I run remote desktop when I need to see the remote screen more closely such as I mentioned when working on a Visio drawing. 

Otherwise the screen for the system I remote to is physically more distant than the screen right in front of me. When not running remote desktop Synergy works well enough and I can carry out tasks in all of the managed systems.

The remote desktop is needed when I need to see a more physically remote system more closely, and need to carry out tasks that otherwise would be difficult because of that screens relatively remote location.

Leslie

Leslie,

Not all of the mouse sharing code made it over from Synergy 1 to Synergy 2. I suppose that in development, certain features that were not anticipated in development were unintentionally dropped as a result of the rewrite in the code. 

@Nick Bolton @Sarah Hebert, you might want to have a look at this.

Leslie Schwartz

In fact, having this work as it used to work is more important to me than the improvements in synergy 2.0. I am thinking about going back to v 1.x so this will work again, it is a very important feature for me.