Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Solution: Synergy 1.8 or 2.0 with MacOS and Windows -- Mouse hesitation

Hey there.. love Synergy.  I've used it for years.  Really love how easy the old version was to set up and 2.0 is even easier.  My main computer is a PC.. I have three other PCs using the same keyboard and mouse -- and then, I added a Mac.  I'm using High Sierra 10.13.6 and had this crazy mouse hesitation on 1.8.  Upgraded to 2.0.7 beta and same thing.  How frustrating.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling.. then decided to do something crazy:  Use the Mac as the server and voila -- hesitation completely gone.  

I'm guessing this will work for others having this issue..

j

Edited by Kelvin Tran
Kelvin Tran
23 minutes ago, jp1 said:

Hey there.. love Synergy.  I've used it for years.  Really love how easy the old version was to set up and 2.0 is even easier.  My main computer is a PC.. I have three other PCs using the same keyboard and mouse -- and then, I added a Mac.  I'm using High Sierra 10.13.6 and had this crazy mouse hesitation on 1.8.  Upgraded to 2.0.7 beta and same thing.  How frustrating.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling.. then decided to do something crazy:  Use the Mac as the server and voila -- hesitation completely gone.  

I'm guessing this will work for others having this issue..

j

Hey, man! Congrats on solving your issue.

Just have a few questions just to clear up some confusion for the newcomers that may find this post useful. 

Firstly, if you're using the Mac as a server and your main computer is your Windows PC, then which system are your peripherals (i.e. keyboard and mouse) connected to?

Secondly, by mouse hesitation, what do you mean? Do you mean a delay between switching systems?

Thirdly, regardless of the answers to any of the above questions, to be clear to you and any other users, this is NOT and should NOT be expected behavior of Synergy. I will forward this post to @Nick Bolton for him to add it to a list of bugs and inefficiencies to fix.

Just as I said.  After having synergy installed on my PCs for years.. without many issues, I added a MAC to the mix this week and the result was the same exact great performance on the PCs.. but, on the Mac.. the mouse would stall.  Hesitate before moving.  Every time I'd stop moving it.. it would be stuck for a fraction of a second before moving.  Paid for 2.0.7 beta to see if it was fixed.  It was not.  Same exact behavior.  My main machine has been one of my PCs.  But, with the new version of Synergy -- it's easy to switch which computer is the server.  Tried it -- and boom, the hesitation is gone.  BTW, the glitch wasn't just when I would just start off.  When doing something on the Mac -- it would happen during movement too.  Just slight - but enough to bother me.  

To answer the peripherals question - they were connected to the PC/Server but switched my preferred set up to the Mac.  

j

Kelvin Tran
1 minute ago, jp1 said:

Just as I said.  After having synergy installed on my PCs for years.. without many issues, I added a MAC to the mix this week and the result was the same exact great performance on the PCs.. but, on the Mac.. the mouse would stall.  Hesitate before moving.  Every time I'd stop moving it.. it would be stuck for a fraction of a second before moving.  Paid for 2.0.7 beta to see if it was fixed.  It was not.  Same exact behavior.  My main machine has been one of my PCs.  But, with the new version of Synergy -- it's easy to switch which computer is the server.  Tried it -- and boom, the hesitation is gone.  BTW, the glitch wasn't just when I would just start off.  When doing something on the Mac -- it would happen during movement too.  Just slight - but enough to bother me.  

To answer the peripherals question - they were connected to the PC/Server but switched my preferred set up to the Mac.  

j

Ah. I see. Thanks for the extra details, I can much better visualize the problem now.

As I said in the previous post, this isn't and shouldn't be expected behavior at all. 

Do you want a refund for your S2 purchase now that you're no longer using it? If you do, use the contact form on Symless' website to request a refund. I'm sure @Nick Bolton will happily give it to you.