Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Keyboard / Mouse has independent Master / Slave relationship

Kelvin Tran
19 hours ago, SpeciousPresent said:

Hey all,

I just got synergy a couple of months ago and it has been working out great so far. I only have one minor nit pick and am not sure how many feel the same way.

Problem:

I have a Desktop and a MacBook and have Synergy 1.0 installed on both of them. Due to the nature of my set up, I would love to be able to use my Macbook's Keyboard while using my Desktop's Mouse. This is currently not possible due to Synergy defining a whole system being a Master, while the other being a Slave.

Request:

I would love to be able to separately definitely which system will have the Master Keyboard and which will have the Master Mouse.

If any dev sees this, I would love to know how complex a change like this is and whether it should be something that is doable or impossible due to some fundamental limitation. 

Hmm. That's a very interesting idea, it's something I've never thought about.

For now, as a workaround, what's the issue with connecting the mouse to the system with the keyboard you want (or vice versa, whichever is more convenient) and setting that one system as a master? You can rearrange the screen layout in any layout that you need to.

@Nick Bolton Perhaps this would be something to consider for Synergy 2's re-release?

stuart macmillan

Sorry if I’m being silly in asking but why don’t you just plug the desktop mouse into the Mac?

Stuart

SpeciousPresent
40 minutes ago, stuart macmillan said:

Sorry if I’m being silly in asking but why don’t you just plug the desktop mouse into the Mac?

Stuart

Ah, yes I could do that, but I have a MacBook Pro with only usb c ports.

so in order to do this, I would need to plug in my USB adapter, unplug my mouse from desktop (which is also a hassle as my desktop is located at the bottom of my desk), and plug the mouse into the MacBook.

I got synergy to avoid doing that in the first place. Haha.

The set up is working great now except I have to reach around the back of my laptop to my desktop’s keyboard whenever I want to type something on my desktop.

Edited by SpeciousPresent
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I do this all the time in Synergy 1. When traveling, I'd have two laptops and I would use the keyboard on whichever laptop I was actively using, but one mouse for both. It doesn't work in S2 because of the automatic switching of Master. However, it would be really cool if both keyboards worked on all PCs without worrying about who's the master.

BTW, you could use an extension cable (or hub) to bring the usb connection up to the desk (and another for the macbook type C adapter) so that it's easier to move the mouse to the macbook. I do this at home because my wireless keyboard and mouse receiver doesn't like to work buried down behind the PC. Also it's really handy just to grab and move the receiver when fortune (like network configuration) requires me to connect directly to one of my computers rather than through Synergy.

Edited by Davewill

I came to request the same thing - independent master/slave relationships for keyboard and mouse.  

Actually, if you could get rid of the master/slave distinction altogether, that would be ideal.  I want it to function like I have multiple Keyboards/Mice plugged into the computer which has the mouse focus.  Where I can type on any keyboard, move any mouse, and the input is routed to the correct computer.  Currently, I have to click the mouse and wait a second to switch master from one computer to another.  Using a keyboard and mouse from separate computers simultaneously doesn't work.  Not the most seamless experience! :) 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 7/30/2018 at 5:10 AM, Kelvin Tran said:

@Nick Bolton Perhaps this would be something to consider for Synergy 2's re-release?

Totally! That'd be great to see.

On 9/19/2018 at 6:48 PM, Loren said:

I came to request the same thing - independent master/slave relationships for keyboard and mouse.  

Actually, if you could get rid of the master/slave distinction altogether, that would be ideal.  I want it to function like I have multiple Keyboards/Mice plugged into the computer which has the mouse focus.  Where I can type on any keyboard, move any mouse, and the input is routed to the correct computer.  Currently, I have to click the mouse and wait a second to switch master from one computer to another.  Using a keyboard and mouse from separate computers simultaneously doesn't work.  Not the most seamless experience! :) 

That was the plan, but we didn't manage to pull it off very seamlessly. Take 2 is coming!