Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Insane lag (have tried everything)

I've been having terrible latency issues on my client PC, looked around for the past hour for solutions and have yet to find anything that works. I'm using the latest version of Synergy 1, hosting the server off a windows machine and connecting with a Linux machine. Not sure what is going on, it's smooth about 50% of the time and laggy the other half. There's no obvious reason as to why it goes from smooth to laggy, I'm not opening or doing anything on either machine at the time it goes to poop. Any ideas on how I can turn that 50/50 into 100%? 

Logs : https://paste.ee/p/zmFeg

Kelvin Tran

Have you verified that your local network infrastructure isn't to blame?

Synergy relies on a quick, snappy, and low-latency connection between all the devices on the LAN. This typically means a high-quality Gigabit connection between all the devices.

I haven't yet reviewed your logs. What debug level are you on? Find out in Synergy's preferences. I'm in a bit of a rush, will check when I get more time.

5 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Have you verified that your local network infrastructure isn't to blame?

Synergy relies on a quick, snappy, and low-latency connection between all the devices on the LAN. This typically means a high-quality Gigabit connection between all the devices.

I haven't yet reviewed your logs. What debug level are you on? Find out in Synergy's preferences. I'm in a bit of a rush, will check when I get more time.

Well I've ran Synergy before on the same two machines in the past without issue, and it was being run over a normal 2.4ghz wifi network. (The linux machine was running windows previously, so that might be playing a role in this case) Now I'm running it on a faster, less populated 5ghz network so I'm thinking the network isn't an issue. Although I know nothing about networking, just seems like if it could run fine on a slower more populated 2.4ghz network it'd be more than fine now. Also just debug(Not 1 or 2), didn't know which option would be most helpful so I just switched it to that. 

Kelvin Tran
1 hour ago, 5HTP said:

Well I've ran Synergy before on the same two machines in the past without issue, and it was being run over a normal 2.4ghz wifi network. (The linux machine was running windows previously, so that might be playing a role in this case) Now I'm running it on a faster, less populated 5ghz network so I'm thinking the network isn't an issue. Although I know nothing about networking, just seems like if it could run fine on a slower more populated 2.4ghz network it'd be more than fine now. Also just debug(Not 1 or 2), didn't know which option would be most helpful so I just switched it to that. 

5 GHz could be an issue depending on how your other applications perform.

In short, because of the higher frequency, its ability to transmit through walls and other obstructions is lowered significantly.

If, however, your other applications (i.e. online games) aren't affected too badly, have you tried reinstalling Synergy?

It wouldn't be playing a role in your case. That being said, this does seem like a very weird issue that might be caused by a form of network congestion, hence why I asked you whether your LAN had high latency or not. 

Have you tried the common troubleshooting steps for S1 (i.e. reinstall)?

1 minute ago, Kelvin Tran said:

5 GHz could be an issue depending on how your other applications perform.

In short, because of the higher frequency, its ability to transmit through walls and other obstructions is lowered significantly.

If, however, your other applications (i.e. online games) aren't affected too badly, have you tried reinstalling Synergy?

It wouldn't be playing a role in your case. That being said, this does seem like a very weird issue that might be caused by a form of network congestion, hence why I asked you whether your LAN had high latency or not. 

Have you tried the common troubleshooting steps for S1 (i.e. reinstall)?

Yep, have reinstalled. I did notice though when looking through possible solutions that changing the type of logging to something that doesn't log as much info (errors or warning) does seem to help. I'm thinking maybe it's a priority problem when handing out resources to background services, not sure how to prioritize synergy to test if that's correct though. 

10 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

We normally recommend Ethernet for users who are experiencing WiFi problems. Even if you've had a responsive WiFi network before, things outside of your control can affect the performance of WiFi. Here's how to setup Ethernet: https://symless.com/help/articles/howto-setup-ethernet

I would if I could, not possible in this scenario though 

Kelvin Tran
9 hours ago, 5HTP said:

I would if I could, not possible in this scenario though 

Describe your physical Wi-Fi setup to me. Where is your wireless AP (access point) placed in relation to the devices where you're using Synergy? What materials are the walls made of? Are there any walls even obstructing the line of sight of the access point? Lack of line of sight with 5 GHz can be a deal breaker for performance in regards to latency.

Do you normally experience high latency on other applications (i.e. games, streaming, etc.)?

35 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Describe your physical Wi-Fi setup to me. Where is your wireless AP (access point) placed in relation to the devices where you're using Synergy? What materials are the walls made of? Are there any walls even obstructing the line of sight of the access point? Lack of line of sight with 5 GHz can be a deal breaker for performance in regards to latency.

Do you normally experience high latency on other applications (i.e. games, streaming, etc.)?

The router is in the room below me, older residential house so be my guest on whats between me and the router (I'm no architect so my best guess is a bit of wood lol) The router is whatever my ISP (Spectrum) supplied me. Not sure if it's any metric to go by, but I can pull about 800mbps on the 5ghz wifi on my PC so I think I got a pretty good connection to it. 

Also no, I don't usually have bad latency. Don't know if this is the proper way of doing so, but I pinged my client PC via windows command prompt with about 50 32b sized requests and got an average of 50ms in return. 

Kelvin Tran
1 minute ago, 5HTP said:

got an average of 50ms in return. 

And there's your issue.

You want about 5-15ms. 15ms is stretching it.

You have nearly 4x the "stretching it" point.

So, we've found a potential issue (not definitively the issue, but I would be surprised if it isn't at least part of the issue).

Here's why it's an issue; you're using 5 GHz. With 5 GHz, it's ideal to be using it within line of sight because a lot of it gets absorbed through the obstructions. If we're talking different floors, structural supports in place could be bouncing it around or worse, they could be made of metal, a classic no-no in the age of high-frequency wireless.

There are three solutions that I can think of, ranked in price.

Firstly, get yourself a couple of range extenders. These bad boys, although not ideal, can extend the range of your signal so that you get less attenuation and therefore, less latency on your connection. Remember that latency is a two-way affair. 50ms to communicate with a client and get a response can screw with real-time applications, which Synergy is one. Most range extenders plug into an outlet and allow you to configure the network that it is to extend. Place some of these strategically around your household to improve your signal. Do some research on what range extenders best fit your purpose though.

Secondly, implement powerline ethernet. Powerline Ethernet is a way that you can run an Ethernet signal through the existing power infrastructure of your home using some nodes that plug into your outlets similarly to range extenders. One node plugs into your modem/router simple enough, and the other plugs into your computer, or preferably a gigabit switch. That way, you don't deal with the attenuation of a wireless signal and since Ethernet can travel a lot farther, there you go.

Thirdly, get a new router implementation. A mesh router implementation can give you low latency and higher speeds, but do NOT use this as a first resort and I'm only including it as an option because it exists. If I were you, I would NOT go with the third option unless I had to because of the sheer expense it would take you relative to the other two options.

9 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

And there's your issue.

You want about 5-15ms. 15ms is stretching it.

You have nearly 4x the "stretching it" point.

So, we've found a potential issue (not definitively the issue, but I would be surprised if it isn't at least part of the issue).

Here's why it's an issue; you're using 5 GHz. With 5 GHz, it's ideal to be using it within line of sight because a lot of it gets absorbed through the obstructions. If we're talking different floors, structural supports in place could be bouncing it around or worse, they could be made of metal, a classic no-no in the age of high-frequency wireless.

There are three solutions that I can think of, ranked in price.

Firstly, get yourself a couple of range extenders. These bad boys, although not ideal, can extend the range of your signal so that you get less attenuation and therefore, less latency on your connection. Remember that latency is a two-way affair. 50ms to communicate with a client and get a response can screw with real-time applications, which Synergy is one. Most range extenders plug into an outlet and allow you to configure the network that it is to extend. Place some of these strategically around your household to improve your signal. Do some research on what range extenders best fit your purpose though.

Secondly, implement powerline ethernet. Powerline Ethernet is a way that you can run an Ethernet signal through the existing power infrastructure of your home using some nodes that plug into your outlets similarly to range extenders. One node plugs into your modem/router simple enough, and the other plugs into your computer, or preferably a gigabit switch. That way, you don't deal with the attenuation of a wireless signal and since Ethernet can travel a lot farther, there you go.

Thirdly, get a new router implementation. A mesh router implementation can give you low latency and higher speeds, but do NOT use this as a first resort and I'm only including it as an option because it exists. If I were you, I would NOT go with the third option unless I had to because of the sheer expense it would take you relative to the other two options.

Alright, well I can tell you switching to wifi over 2g didn't help the situation at all. I'll check out Powerline Ethernet though, sounds like something that could be of use. 

Kelvin Tran
9 hours ago, 5HTP said:

Alright, well I can tell you switching to wifi over 2g didn't help the situation at all. I'll check out Powerline Ethernet though, sounds like something that could be of use. 

Really? Interesting.

Not that it'll help the situation or anything, just out of pure curiosity. You don't have to do this if you don't want to, but do you mind if you send screenshots of 2.4 GHz ping and 5 GHz ping? Thanks.