Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Thinkpad Yoga w/t Windows 8.1 Server - Can't enter client

Tyler Gerard
Running Synergy server v1.7.3 on Windows 8.1 with a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga. I've been running a Synergy server from a Macbook for years and have loved it, but had to get a new laptop recently. The client is a PC running Windows 7. On my new Thinkpad I cannot get Synergy to work at all. When I can get it to connect the cursor just bounces off the top of the screen. Whenever it should move to the client screen, it just reappears a little below my cursor (see log below). A few times I have been able to move the mouse up into the client screen, but as soon as I do all the windows on the client screen freeze and disappear as if being moved and the cursor freezes and disappears on both screens. I tried to attach this log as a txt and md file but it wouldn't let me. Sorry for the long post: NOTE: connecting to service... NOTE: connection established NOTE: zeroconf client detected: TWG-DESKTOP-PC INFO: switch from "Tyler-G-Lenovo" to "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" at 113,1079 INFO: leaving screen INFO: switch from "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" to "Tyler-G-Lenovo" at 240,103 INFO: entering screen INFO: switch from "Tyler-G-Lenovo" to "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" at 221,1079 INFO: leaving screen INFO: switch from "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" to "Tyler-G-Lenovo" at 321,87 INFO: entering screen INFO: switch from "Tyler-G-Lenovo" to "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" at 811,1079 INFO: leaving screen INFO: screen "Tyler-G-Lenovo" updated clipboard 0 INFO: screen "Tyler-G-Lenovo" updated clipboard 1 INFO: switch from "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" to "Tyler-G-Lenovo" at 802,106 INFO: entering screen INFO: switch from "Tyler-G-Lenovo" to "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" at 149,1079 INFO: leaving screen INFO: screen "Tyler-G-Lenovo" updated clipboard 0 INFO: screen "Tyler-G-Lenovo" updated clipboard 1 INFO: switch from "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" to "Tyler-G-Lenovo" at 273,107 INFO: entering screen INFO: switch from "Tyler-G-Lenovo" to "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" at 96,1079 INFO: leaving screen INFO: switch from "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" to "Tyler-G-Lenovo" at 234,105 INFO: entering screen INFO: switch from "Tyler-G-Lenovo" to "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" at 495,1079 INFO: leaving screen INFO: switch from "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" to "Tyler-G-Lenovo" at 550,106 INFO: entering screen INFO: switch from "Tyler-G-Lenovo" to "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" at 498,1079 INFO: leaving screen INFO: switch from "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" to "Tyler-G-Lenovo" at 551,106 INFO: entering screen INFO: switch from "Tyler-G-Lenovo" to "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" at 1478,1079 INFO: leaving screen INFO: switch from "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" to "Tyler-G-Lenovo" at 1332,77 INFO: entering screen INFO: switch from "Tyler-G-Lenovo" to "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" at 729,1079 INFO: leaving screen INFO: switch from "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" to "Tyler-G-Lenovo" at 738,106 INFO: entering screen INFO: switch from "Tyler-G-Lenovo" to "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" at 143,1079 INFO: leaving screen INFO: switch from "TWG-DESKTOP-PC" to "Tyler-G-Lenovo" at 268,107 INFO: entering screen INFO: watchdog status: ok
HI Tyler I have a Yoga running 8.1 that I just set-up today and it seems to be working fine. Not sure of the trick to make it work for you, but wanted you to know someone else is doing it successfully, so it can work. It's set as a client with a Win 7 machine I have as the server.
Bob Recny
Same issue here with two different setups. The original setup was a Windows 8.1 server (Lenovo) and Windows 7 client (Sony). I'd see the same kind of log as the OP. If I swap roles where Windows 7 is the server, then everything is fine. Today, I upgraded to Windows 10 on both systems, and tried 1.7.4-rc4. The same problem exists. When the Lenovo (what was on 8.1) is the server, I cannot get to the cursor on the Sony system. Again, switching roles allows things to work OK. I'd really prefer to keep the Lenovo as my server since I've also custom-mapped one of the extra mouse buttons for use with Eagle (PCB layout software). I have *not* tried a clean install on both systems. I just don't have the spare time right now to re-install everything. Any pointers are welcome!
Tyler Gerard
The issue definitely only occurs with the Thinkpad Yoga running as a client. The OS doesn't seem to matter as I just updated to Windows 10 and the problem persists. I think it's related to the touchpad drivers from Lenovo. I recently read an article from someone who created a custom driver to restore some missing functionality to the Yoga touchpad. I'm going to try that later and will post back here if it helps the Synergy issue at all.
Xiong Xiao
Hi, I met the same question like Tyler. I think Tyler means use yoga as server. if use yoga as a client, it also works in my machines. so do you mind have a try? I mean use yoga as server. Thanks! [quote="james425"]HI Tyler I have a Yoga running 8.1 that I just set-up today and it seems to be working fine. Not sure of the trick to make it work for you, but wanted you to know someone else is doing it successfully, so it can work. It's set as a client with a Win 7 machine I have as the server.[/quote]
Tyler Gerard
Xiong Xiao is correct, the problem is only when Thinkpad Yoga runs as the [i]server[/i]. Because I have not been able to solve this problem I have switched to another program called Mouse Without Borders ([url]http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35460[/url]). It is only compatible with Windows, but now that I no longer have a Mac this is okay for me. It is working better than Synergy ever has.