Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

German Umlauts not working

Nicolas Göddel

Hi there,

since a while and I don't know exactly since when the clipboard is not working correctly with German Umlauts and also all other non-ASCII characters.

When I try to copy the text "äöüßáè" on my Windows 10 machine and paste it on my Ubuntu 18.10 machine it results in "??????" instead of the original content. The other way around it works without problems. So if I write and copy "äöüßáè" on the Ubuntu machine and paste in on the Windows side all characters are right. Any idea how to solve that problems?

I am using Synergy 1.10.1-stable-8941241e on both sides.

Nicolas Göddel

I don't know what you mean exactly. Ubuntu always uses UTF-8 as I know. It also worked before without problems. And it also works copying text from Ubuntu to Windows but not vice versa. So there has to be an issue with synergy. There are also other annoying bugs everytime I lock the screen but maybe this gets also fixed if we wait for another few years...

Nicolas Göddel

Maybe a developer who has an idea how to troubleshoot this issue? Just destroyed a big CSS files because many unicode characters got replaced with a question mark after copy-and-pasting it from the Windows to the Linux machine. :(

In the meantime I try to downgrade to an older version.

Nicolas Göddel

Just downgraded to Synergy 1.8.8 on both sides but the issue still persists.

So I don't think there was a specific change between Synergy 1.8.8 and 1.10 but then there should be an other solution for that problem. I also upgraded to Ubuntu 18.10 a while ago. Maybe it has something to do with this? But how could it be solved then?

Nicolas Göddel

So I don't think there was a specific change between Synergy 1.8.8 and 1.10 but then there should be an other solution for that problem. I also upgraded to Ubuntu 18.10 a while ago. Maybe it has something to do with this? But how could it be solved then?

Could this be related to this old unsolved issue on Github: https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/6235

Kelvin Tran
14 hours ago, Nicolas Göddel said:

Could this be related to this old unsolved issue on Github: https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/6235

I'm going to be honest with you, mate. Linux is completely out of my scope. Try contacting customer support by clicking here.

Or, you can join our Slack community at synergy-app.slack.com. We have some great folks over there that are running Ubuntu versions and could probably help at least find where the issue is.

• 3 months later...
N. Göddel

Okay, I have no clue how to join that synergy-app.slack.com. It says I only can register with a @symless.com mail address. But I already have an other account to a different slack workspace and it doesn't seem like I can switch from that to synergy-app. I don't know. Slack seems way too overcomplicated and in some places it also wants me to pay for something. This will never happen.

So better I talk to the customer support then.

• 10 months later...