Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Delay in cursor move around Windows login

Mike Van Pelt

Configuration: Ubuntu server, Windows 10 client.

At the login screen on Windows, I can freely move the cursor from Ubuntu to Windows,   But when I CTRL-ALT-DEL on the client to enter userid/password, the cursor jumps back to the server, and I can't move the cursor from the server to the client for about 5-10 seconds.  Once I log into Windows (using the server keyboard/mouse) the cursor jumps back to the server, and again, I'm locked out from moving back to the client for about 5-10 seconds.

Synergy 2.x doesn't seem to have this problem.  Since I moved back to 1.x, I got reminded about this issue.

("Minor annoyance" issue, not a major issue, of course.)

I have a similar issue with windows to windows. Example: I locked both of the pc's and to unlock, I start from the main pc. Then scroll on down to pc 2, and click enter password, the cursor will jump back to pc 1 and takes a couple seconds before I can go back to pc 2 and enter in the password. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to jump on here to post the same issue . . 

Issue #1 : Whenever I unlock the lock screen on my Windows system, it jumps back to my server system (MacOS Mojave) and I have to wait about 5 seconds for it to allow me back to the windows system (Client). As soon as I enter the password for the windows system, and windows logs in, it kicks me back to my Server system again for about 5 seconds.

Issue #2 : Every time a elevated prompted comes up on my Windows System (Client), I get the same behavior again in that it immediately kicks me back to my servers system (Mac OS Mojave) for 5 seconds.

This becomes extremely annoying after a few times as my systems are tied to a 10 minute timeout before the screen locks (corporate wide timeout). How is this not posted about more often?!?! What can be done to resolve this?

Sure thing . . 

MacOS: 10.13.6 (High Sierra . .  I was wrong hahah)

Windows OS : Windows 10 Pro 1803

Sorry for the misinformation on the MacOS version, for some reason I thought I had updated to Mojave.

7 hours ago, Alexey Pilyaev said:

Guys, 

Can you please clarify your Win Update version installed? 

Any word on possible causes or workarounds for the issue?

On 3/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, Alexey Pilyaev said:

Guys, 

Can you please clarify your Win Update version installed? 

any update on this?

Do you need me to pull any more logs on my end or can I do something to help speed this along? Its becoming increasingly annoying to work with.

Been over a month since someone first posted this issue, and a week since we saw any response from Symless...? Thinking of just getting my refund and buying a physical KVM if this is how support is for the software. (I don't expect the world, but I would hope for updates on a manageable interval)

Edited by MRiechma
Kelvin Tran
18 hours ago, MRiechma said:

Been over a month since someone first posted this issue, and a week since we saw any response from Symless...? Thinking of just getting my refund and buying a physical KVM if this is how support is for the software. (I don't expect the world, but I would hope for updates on a manageable interval)

Hi there,

I didn't want you waiting any longer for an update! Maybe your post got buried, I don't know. Either way, this is not support that I would expect for a paying customer either.

I will need some more time as I've quite literally never seen this case before to read over the materials in these posts. I also plan to go to sleep soon (as it's 1:58 AM here where I am), but I'll try within the next few days to help you diagnose your issues. Get a refund if you'd like, but if you're willing to hang on for a bit, I may be able to help you out!

Kelvin Tran
On 3/12/2019 at 10:21 AM, MRiechma said:

Do you need me to pull any more logs on my end or can I do something to help speed this along? Its becoming increasingly annoying to work with.

Try and replicate the issue. Pull client/server logs for me to look at.

You can upload the logs directly if you'd like or copy and paste the logs onto a pastebin website and put the links here. Please do NOT post logs here (it gets stupid hard to read and scroll through and frankly that's too much effort for volunteer support).

I'll look at them when I get the free opportunity. Thanks.

Sounds good to me. I can replicate the issue on every try so I will restart the server and client and pull the logs off each and post links to the pastebin's for each. I should have something for you tomorrow morning.

Kelvin Tran
13 hours ago, MRiechma said:

Sounds good to me. I can replicate the issue on every try so I will restart the server and client and pull the logs off each and post links to the pastebin's for each. I should have something for you tomorrow morning.

Sure. Thanks.

Please do note that I've got a Microsoft certification exam today. So, I'll be spending the majority of my time tomorrow / today (it's early morning here) preparing for that exam and not on the Symless forums. Hope you can understand.

Hello Kelvin,

Here are the paste Bins for the 2 systems.

Client PC (Windows 10 1803): https://pastebin.com/aLCd3fKH

Server Mac (10.13.6): https://pastebin.com/UnNA4Dgy

I restarted both the client and server before doing the test. I tested first by locking the client PC and then unlock it. Upon bringing up the login window, I get my cursor kicked out to the server. I have to wait 5 seconds or so for it to allow me back over. I then typed in my password on the client system and hit Enter. At this time it logged in but again kicked me off the client system back to the server. After another 5 second period I was able to move back over to the client system again. I finally ran an elevated command on the client system, and was kicked out again after the Yes/No prompt came up. After waiting again for 5 seconds I was able to move back over to enter the admin password and then was kicked out again after it took it.

Side Note: I'm also noticing that I have been losing connectivity with my bluetooth keyboard on my Mac since installing Synergy. I never had a problem before with the BT keyboard reconnecting to the Mac, but now I have to use a USB keyboard or else it constantly loses connection after taking it to a meeting and coming back it just will not reconnect. I'm guessing it has something to do with Synergy not releasing the BT keyboard in order for the Mac to grab it again.

On 3/15/2019 at 2:31 AM, Kelvin Tran said:

Sure. Thanks.

Please do note that I've got a Microsoft certification exam today. So, I'll be spending the majority of my time tomorrow / today (it's early morning here) preparing for that exam and not on the Symless forums. Hope you can understand.

Any word on an update?

Kelvin Tran
10 hours ago, MRiechma said:

Any word on an update?

Sorry, I just got to looking at this post. Wild past few days!

What other troubleshooting steps have you tried? My suspicion at this point is going to be that Windows is prematurely capturing the mouse cursor, causing Synergy to transfer the mouse cursor over to the server system. However, as I've never seen this issue before, it seems to be just a peculiarity in your environment.

With that said, however, while I have a strong suspicion of what the issue may be, I have yet to find any reasonable solution. Are there any other peculiarities I should know about your environment? Anything that may be causing this issue?

None that I could point a finger at. If there are certain tests you would like me to perform I'd be happy to do so. If not, I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. I'm also amazed that no-one else has pointed this out as of yet. If anything, I may go ahead and update my Windows PC to the latest version of windows (probably just jump to 1809) and see if that changes anything. 

After that though, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas and would probably go forward with requesting the refund as this causes enough of a strain on my workflow that I can't continue using it. 

:-(

I appreciate your assistance with this though!

Mike Van Pelt

I've been having the same issue, Ubuntu server, Windows 10 client.

I got the logs at DEBUG2.  It's a lot... Start synergy, lock PC screen, move cursor to PC, unlock PC, move cursor back to PC, with delays.

On Ubuntu, it ignored the log file I specified and put it all in /var/log/syslog.   I grepped the Synergy debug lines out of syslog and put that in the zip file, too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5jk33bm7bqbmle/synergy-logs.zip?dl=0

I hope this is helpful.  For me, this is in the "minor annoyance" category; happy Synergy user for a whole lot of years.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:37 PM, Kelvin Tran said:

Sorry, I just got to looking at this post. Wild past few days!

What other troubleshooting steps have you tried? My suspicion at this point is going to be that Windows is prematurely capturing the mouse cursor, causing Synergy to transfer the mouse cursor over to the server system. However, as I've never seen this issue before, it seems to be just a peculiarity in your environment.

With that said, however, while I have a strong suspicion of what the issue may be, I have yet to find any reasonable solution. Are there any other peculiarities I should know about your environment? Anything that may be causing this issue?

Just upgraded my client system to 1809 and still the problem persists. 

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue: 

Client: Windows 10 Version 1803, Synergy Version 1.10.2-stable-8c010140, on a Dell box with external monitor. 

Server: MacOS 10.14.5, Synergy Version 1.10.2-stable-8c010140, on Macbook Pro.

Screen Configuration: client (Dell) monitor is above the top edge server (mac) screen. 

To reproduce: 

1. Connect, mouse moves smoothly from mac to Dell when dragging above top edge of mac screen (good). 

2. Drag mouse onto Dell screen. Click the windows button in the bottom left corner. Click the user icon and choose "Lock" from the menu to go to the lock screen. 

3. Observe that the mouse immediately jumps to the server screen (mac). 

4. Immediately try to drag the mouse above the top edge of the screen to click on the Windows lock screen. Observe that the mouse hits the top of the screen and won't go to the Windows screen. Keep trying for around five seconds. Eventually it goes,. 

5. Click on the lock screen to show the password entry box. Mouse disconnects again and is unable to go back to the Windows screen for another fives seconds. 

6. After five seconds, can move mouse to top screen again. Log into Windows. Again, the mouse goes back to mac and cannot go back to Windows screen for another fives seconds or so. 

Note that looking in the log in the Synergy app on the mac side, I see the following posted after locking the Windows screen:

> [2019-06-14T08:49:35] NOTE: client "Dell" has disconnected

And then after five seconds it automatically reconnects after which it works again:

> [2019-06-14T08:49:40] NOTE: client "Dell" has connected

I'm not sure why synergy disconnects when the screen is locked, when the password entry box is shown, and when the login is finished. But that is the root of this problem. If we can avoid this disconnect or cause the reconnect to happen much faster then it would alleviate this issue. 

Please let me know if I can provide further info. 

I still haven't heard anything back from the team. I've since had to move on and am purchasing a physical KVM to work with my setup. While this is a small issue to some, for me it was enough to drive me crazy after 2 weeks.

Mike Van Pelt

Nice analysis, RobS!

It's not just at login/logout/screen lock -- it's the same behavior any time a request for administrator password is made -- disconnect for five seconds before and after.

I also recall not having the issue on Synergy 2, but the occasional "can't connect to Synergy Central" issue eventually drove me back.  I just prefer setting up my display config manually.  Work has since gone VPN crazy, so I might have other issues getting Synergy 2 to work now, but I haven't tried it.  I find Synergy 1 plenty good enough for my needs now.

• Like 1