Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Use with one computer on VPN?

JDDoesIT

Can you detail out the scenario so that I can test it out for you?

Meaning, are they on the SAME LAN and one is just connected to a VPN for another network?

Or is one on the LAN and the other is VPN into that LAN

Edited by JDDoesIT

I have the same question. Both of my computers are on the same LAN and one is just connected to a VPN for another network. When trying to use the machine

with the VPN as the server the connection times out. 

Thank you.

Edited by SaraR
updated content
Petr Koudelka

I am using this regularly. PC-1 (Windows machine, server) and PC-2 (Linux notebook, client). I have VPN started on the PC-2 and everything works fine. I do have standard 192.168 network at home. VPN gives me completely different set of network so perhaps that would be problem.

Randy Bing

Thanks, Petr    

So, are you saying that with PC-1 as the server, you can get to PC-2 when it is connected to VPN?   

I’ll give that a try.  The one on the VPN is what I have tried as the server.  I’ll report back with results.  

Thanks again,

Randy

Randy Bing

Hi Petr,

I was unable to get it to work whether I had the PC that was on the VPN be the server or the other way around. Both of the PCs are running Windows.  Thank you for the post. 

Randy

Randy Bing

Hi JDDoesIT,

Thank you for your post.  What I am trying to get to work is very simple.  I have 2 PCs running Windows.  They are both on the same LAN with private IP space.  When I connect one of them to a VPN for use on my company network, I cannot get Synergy to work.   Problem occurs no matter which of the two PCs I make the server.

Please try this out and let me know if you are able to get it to work.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy Bing

Hi SaraR,

I get the timeouts too.  Hopefully JDDoesIT can figure out if it is possible for our scenarios.

Thanks for your post,

Randy

Petr Koudelka

The only thing that comes to my mind is that you are getting set of IPs from VPN that's same with the one on your local network. Then i suppose Synergy would timeout (trying to connect to machine from VPN network rather than local one).

Speculation : If server is the machine with VPN, client should be able to connect fine since it doesn't see VPN addresses.

Petr Koudelka

I have another idea. You may want to try and play around with network metric (in network connections right click adapter -> properties -> ipv4 properties -> advanced -> bottom part of the window). But be aware that this can break other programs. But if you give you local network really low number (1) then it's higher priority.

• 2 weeks later...
Jamie Newbon

We don't officially support VPNs as they introduce a lot of latency in the connection and also block a lot of traffic. Depending on the VPN software, where the VPN is connecting to and the software policies in-place you can get scenarios where LAN bound traffic is forced into the VPN rather than to the computer on the same local hub or blocked outright. 

If the VPN doesn't have any of these policies make sure you connect via IP and type the Local IP into synergy to connect. 

It sounds like you have the situation of the VPN blocks local traffic. Have a look through the VPN settings see if you can see a "allow local traffic" or, IPs to bypass VPN.

Jamie

Randy Bing

Hi Jamie,

It is a corporate VPN where local traffic is blocked.  I was hoping it could be bypassed.  I'll look into it from my corp IT side.  

Thanks,

Randy