Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

iPadOS Support

wbsmolen

iPadOS supports mouse input via accessibility. Keyboard input was already supported. Would like to see Synergy support iPadOS.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Kelvin Tran

This is similar to the issue with adding ChromeOS support, but emphasized by magnitudes because of how enormous of an undertaking this might be.

Apple does not like you tampering with their accessibility stuff, and it makes sense. Accessibility features on both iOS (by extension: iPadOS) and macOS can cause security risks if put in the hands of a untrustworthy app. But with macOS, it's not justifiable to prevent users (particularly power users) to go in and modify accessibility settings to play to their advantage, so they allow for that with a discouraging message stating that it might compromise security. That's why Synergy works on the Mac. But that same reason is why Apple isn't going to post them onto the App Store - the entire premise of their app is playing with Apple's accessibility features, and very few apps that do that make it to the store (with notable exceptions, such as Magnet).

With iPadOS though, you don't have that same degree of flexibility with regard to security measures. Far from it. So, Synergy would have to either get posted to the App Store (possible but unlikely and if they did, with large amounts of changes that would go against the purpose of the product) or do what GBA4iOS did a few years back and exploit tricks in the iOS app installation security hoping not to get detected and shut down by Apple (which also ended up happening). Additionally, couple this with the fact that even with the new SDK that allows for conversion of applications from macOS to iOS and vice versa, it's still really hard to convert the app to being compatible with iOS because of how deeply it plays into the macOS environment, and it's just not worth the extra risk, effort, and more for a feature that, relatively speaking, probably won't be widely used.

Sorry, but it's likely not going to happen.

• 9 months later...

Hello there! 

Since this topic was last updated, Apple has made mouse and trackpad support official in iPadOS. Does this change the aforementioned reasons why Synergy won‘t develop an iPad solution? I understand that it‘s a completely new platform but it would be super awesome. :) You would have to act to the iPad system as a bluetooth mouse, so maybe the Mac can simulate this? I found an app that is doing this for the keyboard. http://www.eyalw.com/1keyboard 

Thank you for your work and have a nice weekend!

• 4 months later...

I dont know how active is symless but this feature is really important for a lot of users. If logitech figured out a way, you guys are much smarter, I am sure you will come a much nicer way

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2020 at 8:01 PM, dr0p said:

I dont know how active is symless but this feature is really important for a lot of users. If logitech figured out a way, you guys are much smarter, I am sure you will come a much nicer way

@dr0p How does Logitech solve this? Do they have a dedicated software solution for this?

I know there is a tool called Across Center which does connect a PC/Mac to iPads via Bluetooth to act as a mouse/keyboard but I think it is not maintained very well...

• 6 months later...
Spartandrew18

This feature would be so amazing with the new iPad Pros with M1 chip. Any updates on the possibility of synergy for iPadOS happening?

• Guest locked this topic