Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Ability to utilise OSX keyboard modifier key settings

On OSX there is an area of the settings under Keyboard where you can re-map the modifier keys on the keyboard (option, command and control)

If you are a synergy user who uses OSX as the server between Mac and Windows then these settings can be used to swap command and control so that the functions between both of your systems match one another for example ctrl+c and ctrl+v matching between the two. 

However if you are using Synergy the other way around with Windows as the server then this setting cannot be used in the same way as the keyboard that synergy uses is not modifiable under these settings. The re-mapping of modifier keys in OSX is done on a per-keyboard basis, so if I have a separate keyboard plugged in or connected via bluetooth I can change this setting differently for each one. If synergy appeared as a keyboard on the system then I could also select it and modify it's keys. This would have the added benefit of when I then pick up my macbook and this setting would then not be applied to the onboard keyboard and I can use it normally when not at my workstation. 

• Like 1

That's a great idea. Will leave it to development to determine if this is really an "improvement" or something that the product should have been doing all along.

• Like 1
Jamie Newbon

I can definitely agree to this, it does make perfect sense. 

I will add this to the internal features board to investigate the plausibility of adding to Synergy.

The idea behind it may be reasonable but I also have to add that depending on the implementation it might not be feasible, Getting Synergy to appear as a separate keyboard/mouse may need us to make Synergy an HID which is a large task of itself (coding drivers etc) I'm assuming a lot in this as I have not looked at this section of code, nor have I built an HID before.

It is definitely something we should look at though.