Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Debian 10 Buster Synergy 1 Basic

Hi,

I sent an email into Symless support in October about Synergy issue with not being able to display the icon on the top taskbar as it does on Ubuntu and Manjaro Gnome. Jamie Newborn replied that they will work on it as long as I'm using Xorg display server. I'm not using Wayland on any Linux Distros at the moment. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue myself? As I wrote in the email Synergy still works but is unable to install the icon and comes up with an error indicating same.

Thanks,

Gerald

Jamie Newbon

Hi Gerald

Sorry, I haven't been able to get round to fixing that issue, I have had a lot of high priority work to do and it hasn't allowed me to look into this issue. We are hiring more developers and when the team fills up we will be able to get through a lot of the backlog of issues that have been risen.

If you want to try to tackle the issue yourself, Synergy core is open-source on GitHub, you can have a look through the code and fix the issue. You can even create a PR to be incorporated into the next release.

If you do want to tackle the issue, make a draft PR, you can get feedback from myself and the community then if you get stuck.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I've found the problem. First, I don't think your app worked completely in Debian 9 either. Just to review the issue. When your app launches it comes up with the error "System tray is unavailable. Don't close the window." Now you no longer have access to program settings. Debian is a bit different than the distros that are built on Debian. Ubuntu alters the Gnome desktop to suit their needs. Debian uses the desktop provided by Gnome without any mods. At least that is my understanding. I guess there used to be a system tray at the bottom left corner that was used for icons from applications. It was eliminated some time ago. Your app is attempting to access it and it no longer exists. In Ubuntu, Manjaro Gnome, Manjaro Cinnamon, Manjaro KDE, your program accesses the top or bottom panel. In Debian it appears not to have permission to mount it. I was looking at this the wrong way. Possibly you could solve it on your end. But I just added an extension called "Topicon Plus". There's another one that is a fork called "Topicon redux". I tried them both. Both worked. As soon as I installed it your icon appeared and I now have access to your program settings as you intended. What caused me to look at this as a Gnome issue was I installed Barrier as a Flatpak. It had the same problem. No icon in the top panel. Although it showed no error message. So I consider this matter closed and anyone else that may be using Synergy and Debian will have an easy solution. 

Regards,

Gerald