Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Ubuntu 20.04 Support?

mzeagrelli

I'm not seeing Ubuntu 20.04 supported anywhere for Synergy 1. Here is what I have tried so far:

dpkg-deb -R synergy_1.11.1.stable~b58+55ec3105_ubuntu19_amd64.deb nameOfFolder
cd nameOfFolder
sudo mv /usr/share/applications/synergy.desktop usr/share/applications/synergy.desktop.dpkg-new
cd .. && dpkg-deb -b nameOfFolder synergy.deb

The I've tried to run that installer and it appears nothing happens.

mzeagrelli

Ahh I figured it out. Running it like this worked. For some reason I had to install it with apt. And then also the application isn't showing in my apps. so I had to run it from the terminal.

cd nameOfFolder

sudo mv /usr/share/applications/synergy.desktop usr/share/applications/synergy.desktop.dpkg-new

sudo apt-install synergy.deb

synergy

• Like 1
Remi DEBETTE

Hi,

I just upgraded from 18.04 to focal 20.04, and also upgraded the synergy .deb to 19.04 1.11.1 and the server does not work with TLS encryption.

The logs:

secure socket error: could not use tls certificate

[2020-04-25T09:32:06] ERROR: openssl error: error:140AB18F:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_certificate:ee key too small

Focal is officially the LTS release of Ubuntu now.

Thank you

mzeagrelli

I'm not using the TLS encryption so I don't have the issue.

However I submitted a ticket with support yesterday and here was their response. (not promising for your case. so you might just have to live without encryption for the time being)

"Currently, that's not actually a feature we support (Ubuntu 20.04), but it is a feature request that we're planning to add to the next major version of Synergy. In the meantime, you’re also welcome to take a look at the Synergy Roadmap.

We expect to have support for 20.04 coming in a future version, unfortunately, I can't provide an ETA for this.

For now, we have closed your ticket. If you still have questions or an issue, feel free to reply to this email and we will re-open your ticket."

Edited by mzeagrelli

Hi @Remi DEBETTE I've just installed Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa (clean install) and am using TLS successfully now with a client running MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 after some initial issues. I was previously running a setup using Ubuntu 18.04 with the same Mac as a client.

The wrong SSL fingerprint was being displayed when the MacOS client tried to connect to the Ubuntu server on 20.04

I noticed the MacOS Catalina client wasn't running the same version of Synergy as the server (1.10.1 on the Mac not 1.11.1 like the new Ubuntu OS). I upgraded to that version, removed the

~/.synergy

directory on Ubuntu to reset the key and restarted both machines which resolved the issue for me.

I don't think this will make any difference if you already have Synergy installed but for the sake of completeness for others I installed Synergy on 20.04 by downloading 1.11.1 stable from the downloads page (selecting the Ubuntu 19.04 download) and running the following in the Downloads directory:

sudo dpkg -i synergy_1.11.1.stable\~b58+55ec3105_ubuntu19_amd64.deb

...which complained about a missing dependency libavahi-compat-libdnssd1. After installing this via apt-get install and running --fix-broken as prompted Synergy installed successfully.

sudo apt-get install libavahi-compat-libdnssd1
sudo apt --fix-broken install

Hope this helps you get things working!

Edited by jobyh

CORRECTION dependency install and fix broken above lines should read:

sudo apt-get install libavahi-compat-libdnssd1
sudo dpkg -i synergy_1.11.1.stable\~b58+55ec3105_ubuntu19_amd64.deb
sudo apt --fix-broken install

Remi DEBETTE

Hi @jobyh, indeed after forcing the renewal of the SSL it went fine.

I did not do anything else than delete the following and restart synergy on Ubuntu:

~/.synergy
  • 1 month later...
On 4/25/2020 at 6:58 AM, mzeagrelli said:

Ahh I figured it out. Running it like this worked. For some reason I had to install it with apt. And then also the application isn't showing in my apps. so I had to run it from the terminal.

cd nameOfFolder

sudo apt-install synergy.deb

synergy

cd nameOfFolder

sudo mv ./usr/share/applications/synergy.desktop ./usr/share/applications/synergy.desktop.dpkg-new

sudo apt-get install synergy.deb

synergy

• 2 months later...

Here's what I did to install synergy 2.0.12.beta on Ubuntu 20.04:

dpkg-deb -R synergy_2.0.12.beta_b1705+e5daaeda_amd64.deb synergy_2.0.12.beta
mv synergy_2.0.12.beta/usr/share/applications/synergy.desktop synergy_2.0.12.beta/usr/share/applications/synergy.desktop.dpkg-new
mv synergy_2.0.12.beta/usr/lib/systemd/system/synergy.service synergy_2.0.12.beta/usr/lib/systemd/system/synergy.service.dpkg-new
dpkg-deb -b synergy_2.0.12.beta synergy_2.0.12.beta-ubuntu-20.04.deb
sudo apt-get install ./synergy_2.0.12.beta-ubuntu-20.04.deb

Thanks for the hints.

Same issue as main post except i did a upgrade and synergy was already installed

used the info AmShaegar posted but then got a message that a required dependency could not be installed

a quick search returned https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-viber-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

wget for 6.2 didn't work but 5.3 was available

wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl1.0/libssl1.0.0_1.0.2n-1ubuntu5.3_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libssl1.0.0_1.0.2n-1ubuntu5.3_amd64.deb

then did the synergy install again.

NOTE:  I noticed that once I installed Libssl, my main machine updated and showed my ubuntu machine online right before I ran the install again.

• 3 months later...

Accidentally posted on a different Ubuntu post, meant to put here. I've got Synergy installed and the service is installed, but it is having connection issues.

Logs show "error: failed to check update: reply has error: SSL hadshake failed

and the GUI when I click Sign in with Symless gives "Couldn't connect to Synergy Cloud"

I had issues trying to install about libssl1.0.0 so found a post that led me to install this : http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl1.0/libssl1.0.0_1.0.2n-1ubuntu5.5_amd64.deb  thinking that could be the issue since it seems to be SSL related?

• 4 weeks later...

I also tried to follow the steps in this gist (https://gist.github.com/xenophonf/89baf03558f82f42c5a378abce2f5655), using libssl ubuntu5.5, and also getting an error when I launch synergy-config.