Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

configuring a client with 2 monitors

I am trying to use synergy on 2 computers both running Windows 10. Computer A is using screen 1. Computer B is using screens 1 and 2. Computer A and Computer B share screen 1 using a KVM. I want to use Synergy between Computer A on screen 1 and Computer B on screen 2. In other words I want to be able to move the cursor between Computer A and Computer B on screen 2 without having to toggle the KVM Is this possible to configure? Let me add what I have found to date. The client and the server connect successfully. The cursor moves from Computer A's screen to Computer B's screen but the cursor cannot find the way back to Computer A. The log on the server says leaving, entering, leaving, entering as the cursor bumps against the boundary but never reenters the servers screen.
I think you can just remove the KVM switch from your setup. Maybe something like this. Computer A using Monitor 1. Computer B using Monitor 2. And now tell Synergy on Computer A (server) to put Computer B (client) as a Screen to the Left of Computer A. Now you have a standard multi-monitor setup, but a computer for each of your displays, instead of 1 computer driving both displays. This is the most standard use of Synergy, replacing your physical KVM with your network connection :D
Thanks for that post. I have used synergy in that configuration for years. I needed to remove one of those computers and switched to a dual monitor mode to replace it. I have acquired a new computer and have added some functionality to the new computer while still running the old one with the 2 monitors. Going back to the old configuration would cause me to have to turn off some programs, which I do not want to do.
Ok, I think I see what you are trying to do. You have software on Computer B that is using both monitors? Since you say that the cursor is logged to be moving between both computers, but does not reappear, I would guess that this means either Windows 10 is detecting when the KVM is not routing Computer B to the second display (then shutting off that desktop completely), or there is a logical flaw in the positioning of your displays. i.e. you could have an entire desktop stuck in limbo, you are moving the mouse around it and Synergy is logging events, but you don't have a display to see it with. I really need to make a picture to describe this, desktop layouts always confound me... Anyway if you can describe the physical location of your monitors, as well as the position you specified in Synergy, maybe the solution will reveal itself.
I tried drawing pictures but the multiple spaces between the boxes were being deleted so here is a discription. The physical layout is Computer A to the left of Computer B. Display of A and B connected to Screen 1 by KVM VGA cable. Screen 2 is right of Screen 1 and is connected to Computer B by HDMI. The Synergy configuration is shown as Screen 1 to the left of Screen 2. The cursor moves from Screen 1 to Screen 2 with no problem. When trying to move from Screen 2 to Screen 1 the log information says entering as it hits the boundary but immediately says leaving without actually entering and will log entering leaving entering leaving as the cursor is held against the boundary as it keeps getting rejected. Hope that helps.
That seems typical. So your hardware is positioned the usual way. So now I'm wondering about the layout in software. So Synergy, is set for Computer A to sit left of B. But Computer B is running a multi-monitor config, correct? Screen 1, being shared using a KVM, is positioned by Computer B, either as the primary monitor, or a secondary desktop. I wonder if you would encounter problems if the monitor layout set by Computer B is specifying Screen 1 (connected to KVM), as your secondary monitor, and positioning it to the left of Screen 2, and then gets confused when you deactivate your KVM, causing Computer B to disable that desktop in software. Because hey, as far as Windows knows, you could have unplugged your monitor completely! In ASCII art, this is what you are describing: [ Screen1 ] [ Screen2 ] | Comp-A| |Comp-B| This is what you see sitting on your desk, a single monitor per computer. But the video driver of Comp-B actually sees something more like this: [ Screen1 ] [ Screen1 (secondary) ] [ Screen2 (primary) ] | Comp-A | | Comp-B | You describe the mouse moving to Computer B and then not being able to return. I suspect this could be a side effect of Windows sensing that Screen 1 has been turned off, which in turn causes mayhem and chaos. If you open your Monitor settings on Computer B, are 2 different displays specified? If so, which physical Monitor is labeled as Secondary, and was it positioned to the left, or the right? I would make sure the HDMI monitor is your primary display on Computer B, and tell Windows to position it to the [b]right[/b]. It seems kind of backwards, but this way when you toggle your kvm, the left side of Screen 2 will not have to cross through a desktop that has "disappeared." Hope this helps!
Yes, you have the configuration right. Sorry for the delay in responding but had to deal with a couple of other issues. Your analysis is excellent seeing you do not have the set up I have and can only imagine without the benefit of trying out different solutions. Yes, making screen 2 on the multi-monitor computer the primary was key to getting the cursor to move from the server to the client. Unfortunately, once the cursor moves over to the client it cannot return to the server and you get the ping pong effect with the log showing entering, leaving, entering, leaving back and forth as you keep the cursor against the boundary. Synergy still sees the secondary monitor and might be getting confused as to whether that monitor belongs to the server or the client? I was thinking of going to an older version where you can define percentages of the screen as a possible solution but after looking through some other forum topics I see that has migrated to the latest version as either corner size or adding some definitions manually to the configuration file. Did I understand that correctly and if so do you think I might be able to define only screen 2 on the multi-monitor, now the primary screen, to the server and ignore the secondary screen entirely. That would be exactly what I want to do.
  • 1 year later...