Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Two clients, six monitors - Connect directly to a display

Hi, this is my constellation I want to work with: - First Client with one monitor (:0.0, seperate configured Display, SUSE SLES 11 SP2) - Second Client with five monitors (:0.0, :0.1, ... :0.4, seperate configured Display, SUSE SLES 11 SP2) I want to move the mouse from the first client :0.0 to the right and get to the second client :0.2. Same procedure; I want to move the mouse from the first client :0.0 up to the second client :0.1. My synergys must be the first client. Is it possible to connect directly to a display of a second client? Xinerama isn't active and not a option. If possible, please post an example of a synergy.conf with this constellation. I hope you can help me :D Best, Christian
Ben Koenig
I just might. This is very much an educated guess, but I suspect that Synergy will talk to the x server the same way other X11 apps do. So, in theory, you should be able to launch multiple synergy clients, each managing a different X screen. Running multiple screens in a multi-desktop involves positioning them next to each other using coordinates. You might be able to separate them and use the $DISPLAY environment variable to launch multiple Synergy clients, and add these to your synergy server, bypassing any actual X configuration. I'm not sure how fancy your xorg.conf is, but you should be able to launch a terminal on each of the screens of your client, and type [code] echo $DISPLAY [/code] to identify which screen you are on. The format is :server#.screen#. Then launch a Synergy client for that specific screen using the output of the previous command: [code] DISPLAY=:0.X synergy [/code] So maybe something like this on your SuSe client? (synergyc is the command-line client, and implements "--display" for this purpose) [code] synergyc --display :0.0 -f --no-tray --name screen0 <server ip> synergyc --display :0.1 -f --no-tray --name screen1 <server ip> synergyc --display :0.2 -f --no-tray --name screen2 <server ip> synergyc --display :0.3 -f --no-tray --name screen3 <server ip> synergyc --display :0.4 -f --no-tray --name screen4 <server ip> [/code] On your server you would add screens 0-4 just like you already have, and position them wherever. Synergy will handle movement from one to the other. At this point your x server is still handling the transition between screens like it is currently, so we need to make a small modification to your xorg.conf to avoid confusion with your client handling screen edges. Do that last to avoid losing your desktop. I may have over explained this a bit, so here is a decent reference for $DISPLAY: [url]http://askubuntu.com/questions/432255/what-is-display-environment-variable[/url]. Hope this helps! Apologies if you've already done the research, this might serve as good reference for future users searching the forum :ugeek: