Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

PreserveFocus not respected

Vinnie Minichino

Vinnie Minichino
Using two Windows 7 machines. v1.7.4 I added "preserveFocus = true" to each clients screen section. But, when i move to another monitor, it changes focus to the new monitors top screen. I have more than once typed a password into a chat window by clicking into the password field and letting the mouse accidentally wonder enough to move the cursor to another screen, thereby entering Facebook or something. I usually realize as I'm pressing the enter key what I have done. Am I using the configuration wrong? Or is this a bug? [code]section: screens Vinnie-PC: halfDuplexCapsLock = false halfDuplexNumLock = false halfDuplexScrollLock = false xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false switchCorners = none switchCornerSize = 0 preserveFocus = true COL074160: halfDuplexCapsLock = false halfDuplexNumLock = false halfDuplexScrollLock = false xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false switchCorners = none switchCornerSize = 0 preserveFocus = true end section: aliases end section: links Vinnie-PC: right = COL074160 COL074160: left = Vinnie-PC end section: options relativeMouseMoves = false screenSaverSync = true win32KeepForeground = false switchCorners = none switchCornerSize = 0 end[/code]
I am getting the exact same results. Linux as server, Windows 7 as client. The weird part is I'm not seeing any error messages, but the option is recognized ("preservefocus" give an error about reading the conf file. "preserveFocus" has no effect).
Here is something else you might want to try. The preserveFocus feature might be from a much older version, but there is a checkbox for "Don't take foreground window on Windows servers". I don't think its working as expected with Linux in the mix, but you mentioned 2 Win7 machines so it might do what you want.
@Vinnie Minichino, are you restarting Synergy on both systems after changing the text config? I'd like to be sure, the settings take effect upon program startup. Would you mind telling us the exact actions you are doing, and what it is you expect vs. what it is that happens differently? The "preserveFocus" is intended to prevent a window from losing focus upon pointer transitioning from one screen to another. This won't prevent a window on any screen from becoming active if hovered over, if Windows is configured to make the hovered-over window the active window. It may be a Windows setting that needs to change, for you to get the behavior you want. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/ [quote="Vinnie Minichino"]Using two Windows 7 machines. v1.7.4 I added "preserveFocus = true" to each clients screen section. But, when i move to another monitor, it changes focus to the new monitors top screen. I have more than once typed a password into a chat window by clicking into the password field and letting the mouse accidentally wonder enough to move the cursor to another screen, thereby entering Facebook or something. I usually realize as I'm pressing the enter key what I have done. Am I using the configuration wrong? Or is this a bug? [code]section: screens Vinnie-PC: halfDuplexCapsLock = false halfDuplexNumLock = false halfDuplexScrollLock = false xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false switchCorners = none switchCornerSize = 0 preserveFocus = true COL074160: halfDuplexCapsLock = false halfDuplexNumLock = false halfDuplexScrollLock = false xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false switchCorners = none switchCornerSize = 0 preserveFocus = true end section: aliases end section: links Vinnie-PC: right = COL074160 COL074160: left = Vinnie-PC end section: options relativeMouseMoves = false screenSaverSync = true win32KeepForeground = false switchCorners = none switchCornerSize = 0 end[/code][/quote]