Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Issues connecting when connected to VPN

Bryden Lesser
I work at home and connect to a VPN with my iMac that I want to be my client computer with Synergy. My PC is the server. The iMac is all set up and would fail to connect citing server time-out. All settings correct. Both computers are connected via cat6-a to modem/router, no issues on PC while it waits for clients. VPN is the cause, once disconnected Synergy functions perfectly fine. Issue I'm looking to resolve is how do I get this to work while the iMac is connected to VPN? Even though it's the same connection the VPN is making it so that the mac is off in la-la land so the IP address I see on it probably isn't the IP address I'm actually connecting through. Could be different DNS, subnet, not really sure, but could certainly use the help to get this working, otherwise buying Synergy was a bit of a waste. :(
  • 3 weeks later...
david haemmerli
I have the same problem. W7 (work computer) to W10 (private, server computer). Once I connect to VPN nothing is working anymore. Could one please (easily) explain how to get it work again? Thank you Dave
  • 2 weeks later...
Steen Nielsen
Too give a little info on the works of VPN, it "closes" the computer down, network-wise, so when you surf on the VPN connected computer, then all network traffic goes through this "Tunnel", even the webpages you visit. Unfortunately that also cuts the computer off the home network, where your synergy session is running. Theoretically it should mean that if you had a computer on your work network which had synergy, then you could actually control that computer..! Although you would have problems seeing what happened on the screen.. hehe.. I have read somewhere (http://blog.lan-tech.ca/2013/02/21/acce ... taneously/) that it is possible to access the local network still, but since it will result in a security risk, it requires a bit of work.. And we use a VPN client at my work, that doesn't allow the end user to change this, so the administrators need to actively allow this, which they won't, simply of security reasons. Instead I have chosen to activate the VPN everytime I need to read and write mails and check code into and out of code repositories (i a web developer), but otherwise have it disconnected. Simply because synergy doesn't work with a VPN connected computer and I don't need to be connected while coding.