Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy Support for Wayland

Aaron Rumbold
Just a heads up - I am running Fedora 23 Workstation on one of my client machines. Fedora plans to be make GNOME on Wayland the default from Fedora 24 onwards. https://fedoramagazine.org/help-fedora-test-wayland/ Right now, Synergy doesn't seem to work with Wayland - You can see applications activate as you move your mouse into the machine, but currently keyboard or mouse events don't actually do anything under Wayland. The "Client" mouse stays exactly where it is, and typing makes no effect at all - not even the unlock screen. I'm guessing Synergy currently hooks into X11 and thought It was worth bringing to someone's attention. Thanks
  • 6 months later...
Rohini Dorbala
I would love see synergy running on wayland. Wayland is much better than X I heard. But it got me thinking. What if synergy can use xwayland (xorg-server-xwayland package) extension to mitigate with this? Or does it need a rewrite entirely?
  • 5 months later...
Nigel Atkinson

Note that Wayland is the default on Fedora now that Fedora 25 has been released.

In other words, Synergy will not work with an out of the box install. It's still easy to switch to X.org however. (Cog on Login screen).

William Siddall

My environment is using Fedora as the server and Windows as client. After I upgraded to Fedora 25, I get this error in systemctl:

Nov 26 18:25:53 host systemd[1]: Started synergys Server Service.
Nov 26 18:25:53 host synergys[15023]: No protocol specified
Nov 26 18:25:53 host synergys[15023]: [2016-11-26T18:25:53] WARNING: primary screen unavailable: unable to open screen

As Wayland is poised to be the replacement window server for Linux soon, we should get support for Wayland as it's more efficient and supportive of modern hardware.

Ryan1491393327

I'm pleased with how well Wayland works (snappy!) but I am so dependent on Synergy at this point I've reverted back to x11. I'd love to see this supported!

Thomas Ehrle

I'd love to see support for Wayland too. It's so much better than x11.

I have 2 Fedora 25 machines running alongside and really looking forward fort it.

• 2 weeks later...
Zach Borgerding

I sent a message to tech support and it sounds as though there is no ETA for support for Wayland. There has been a ticket open for two years: https://github.com/symless/synergy/issues/4090

I basically went a year with some of the serious Synergy SSL and clipboard / disconnect bugs. Finally everything is working well but there is no support for Wayland. Switching to X temporarily when I have to have keyboard / mouse sharing.